Sunday 25 September 2011

HIGH above the STREET.


For the past weeks I have been doing an internship for an online boutique based in Leeds called 'HIGH above the STREET'. The store was formerly based in Leeds city center under the name 'Paper Scissor Stone'.

When that store was still there I went in and asked if they required any help over the summer. What I wasn't aware of was that the store was in the process of closing - the location wasn't the best so it was difficult to get the customers. The online sales were continuing to do well though, so the owner, Steve Banks, decided to set up the company as online only.

The office for the new 'store' is in Munro House, a building which is beginning to become a real center for creatives in Leeds. In the building are various graphic design studios, furniture design studios and a band rehearsal area. There is also a furniture shop in development on the bottom floor.




Because the company is based solely online, not many staff are needed for the day to day running of the business, this is very good for me as it means I get more involved than if I were to join a massive company where you'd almost be forgotten about. The various tasks I help out with are very broad in their scope. I help Steve package the orders as they come through, but also get involved in some actual decision making. Steve has been very trusting with me and actual asks for my opinion on things rather just just ordering me around! Recently I helped choose from a brands lookbook which items to stock for the upcoming spring/summer 2012 season.


Also because the company is fairly young in it's history I'm learning first hand what it takes to get up and running. There are a thousand things which need to be done which, until you've seen them, you'd never even think of.

No comments:

Post a Comment