Monday 7 February 2011

Creative Design Realisation.

For this brief we were taught how to construct a professional looking garment. Having had pretty much zero experience with a sewing machine at first I found this a little bit daunting.

As more techniques were taught to us I began to get a gradual understanding of how things work when you’re making a garment. I never really felt out of my depth during this brief, and enjoyed the technical nature of the working methods.

The brief was also slightly different from what I’ve done before as it involved making a dress. I’ve never designed women’s clothing so wasn’t sure how much I’d take to it, or, if I could do it! But when I designed my dress I tried to almost make it incorporate things I like in men’s clothing. Things such as function, form and subtle tailoring details.

Constructing the dress was also enjoyable, it was very beneficial to how the skills I’ve learnt work when put into practice. Using these new skills also meant that it didn’t really matter to me what the final thing I was making actually was; more about actually how I was making it.

I’m very pleased with the final dress I made – the final standard of construction and design is something I’m proud of. Three months ago I barely knew how to use a sewing machine, and now I’ve made a garment which has all the small details I admire in clothing.

IMAG0228IMAG0233IMAG0234IMAG0239IMAG0238IMAG0240IMAG0243IMAG0242

No comments:

Post a Comment